Now Playing
K95.5 Tulsa
Last Song Played
Tulsa's New Country Leader
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
K95.5 Tulsa
Last Song Played
Tulsa's New Country Leader

news

200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >

Cancer survivor and the doctor that saved him climb Mount Kilimanjaro together

Four years ago, Ken Brown, of Chicago, received news that would change his life forever.

He was told he had a five percent chance of survival after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, WGN reported.

>> Read more trending news

But Brown wasn’t alone. He had the help of Dr. Malcom Bilimoria, who was able to help cure Brown of his life-threatening disease.

“I could see when I first met Ken, he was a lot like the patients I see in the clinic, a real fighter,” Dr. Bilimoria said.

Last month, in a celebration of his cancer-free status, Brown and Dr. Bilimoria set off to beat another record -- scaling the slopes of Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania.

“I think it was just meant to be,” Brown said, noting that he didn’t really care about whether or not he reached the top. “I have already hiked the tallest mountain that anyone could possibly hike, pancreatic cancer, with Dr. Bilimoria’s help.”

Brown and Bilimoria’s adventure came to fruition after the two had a conversation about their past and planned travels. Bilimoria told Brown about a planned trip Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania with a group of eight others, including fellow doctors and their friends.

“I said, ‘You can’t go without me. That’s my dream,’” Brown told his doctor.

Brown had been wanting to climb Kilimanjaro -- the highest mountain in Africa -- since he went on a safari in 2011. From afar, he snapped a photo to the mountain and kept it in his office for years as a reminder of his goal.

In the days after that conversation with his doctor, Brown started to give a trip to Kilimanjaro more serious thought, getting some encouragement from his daughter-in-law.

Brown and Bilimoria ultimately went on the trip and finished up their journey on Oct. 12. Though Brown didn’t make it to the top due to a health issue unrelated to his previous cancer, he was delighted to have had the opportunity to camp under the stars.

“I shouldn’t have been here. I just spent six days getting to know the man who saved my life, and I just also had the opportunity to see sights no one else can see at night,” Brown said, according to WGN. “I feel like I can reach out and touch the stars.”

Bilimoria hopes the trip will serve as inspiration for other people affected by serious illnesses.

“Not only was it great to be able to spend time with (Brown), but it would be great to show other patients that this is what you can do,” Bilimoria told WGN.

See more at WGN.

Brianna Chambers contributed to this report.

Texas trooper who took photo with Snoop Dogg sues officials a second time

A Texas state trooper is suing 18 different Department of Public Safety officials a second time, alleging that they retaliated against him after he sued them the first time and that documents about him were tampered with.

>> Read more trending news

Trooper Billy Spears was reprimanded in the spring of 2015 for taking a photo with rapper Snoop Dogg. Spears was reprimanded because the rapper has several drug-possession convictions and DPS policies prohibit troopers from associating with known criminals.

Spears filed suit against his bosses soon after he was reprimanded.

Shortly after, Spears went on medical leave for a knee injury. While still on leave, high-ranking DPS personnel accused him of not being in compliance with DPS’s physical fitness policies, which Spears’s lawsuit alleges was a retaliatory attempt to get him fired.

DPS spokesman Tom Vinger said the allegations in the lawsuit are incorrect.

>> Related: Texas Trooper to receive counseling for posing in picture with Snoop Dogg

“The department looks forward to refuting these spurious claims through the proper legal proceedings,” said Vinger, who declined to comment further.

Spears was on medical leave from May 26, 2016, to Dec. 17, 2016, his lawsuit says. On Sept. 1, 2016, he was warned he was on the verge of being terminated because he had failed to take and pass physical fitness tests during that time.

Spears’s lawsuit says he requested a medical waiver for the test and hadn’t been aware it had been denied. 

>> Related: Punishment to trooper who posed with Snoop Dogg is 'one-time coaching' opportunity agency says

Spears requested his waiver form, and the lawsuit alleges that the memo Spears wrote in May 2016 “had been altered and post-dated to June 2, 2016. The date alteration was significant because it created the false appearance that (Spears) had not submitted his memo before the May 31, 2016 deadline.”

Spears is seeking unspecified damages and a jury trial.

’Property Brothers'’ Drew Scott, Linda Phan finally set  date for Italian wedding

Drew Scott and Linda Phan will be taking their love to Italy when they celebrate their upcoming nuptials in May!

The couple opened up about their upcoming wedding plans in a new interview with PEOPLE after they finally set the date.

“We’re looking at somewhere where we can chow down on pizza, pasta and gelato. Those are the requirements,” the bride-to-be told the publication of their decision to get married in Italy.

>> Read more trending news

The groom is also pretty excited to do things the way they want to.

“This is our big day. We can do whatever we want!” he said. “One of the things that I love about Linda is that she’s with me in that sense. If I want to wear a gold leotard, I’ll do it. We’re not ones to have a basic white wedding.”

RELATED: “Touched By An Angel” fans mourn the loss of one of the show’s brightest stars

RELATED: “Property Brothers” Drew Scott talks about his plans to have kids with fiancée Linda Phan

The couple is looking forward to noshing on Italian dishes for the reception meal, followed by late-night bites including burgers and fries as they dance the night away with their guests.

Scott and Phan have also been busy focusing on the remodel of their home of their upcoming series “Property Brothers at Home: Drew’s Honeymoon House,” and they are already making plans for the pitter-patter of little feet running around.

“I wanted to make sure this house can function for kids, too,” Scott said.

Phan added, “We plan on being in it for a long time. I’m willing to give up my craft room for a nursery.”

They are also hoping that their children take after their father and his brother, Jonathan Scott.

“We do plan in the very near future on having children,” Scott said. “We would love to have twins.”

“Property Brothers: Drew’s Honeymoon House” premieres Nov. 22 at 9 p.m. ET on HGTV.

Backstreet Boys’ Nick Carter responds to rape allegations made by singer Melissa Schuman

Former Dream singer Melissa Schuman accused Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys of raping her in 2002 and alleged that his legal team silenced her in a Sunday blog post, according to a report from Rolling Stone

In the graphic and lengthy post, Schuman explained that her management team set her up with Carter after he took interest in her. However, she had a boyfriend at the time, so they did meet again for a few years when she was 18, he was 22 and they were cast in the same made-for-TV movie. Carter invited her and a friend over to his Santa Monica apartment to hang out with him and his friend, according to Schuman

>> Read more trending news

After drinking alcohol, he and Schuman kissed in his office. He then brought her into a bathroom where he allegedly forcibly performed oral sex on her and forced her to reciprocate after ignoring her many pleas for him to stop. Afterward, Schuman said Carter took her to a bedroom and raped her even after she told him she wanted to wait until marriage.  

“It was done. The one thing I had held as a virtue had been ruined,” she wrote. “I went limp, turned my head to my left and decided I would just go to sleep now. I wanted to believe it was some sort of nightmare I was dreaming up.” 

The former girl group member said she immediately told her manager and attempted to press charges, but was informed that Carter hired a powerful litigator.

“I was told I would likely be buried in humiliation, accused of being fame hungry, and it would ultimately hurt me professionally as well as publicly.” she wrote.

Eventually, she lost interest in pursuing a career in music.  

“I was broken. I was tired. I was traumatized,” she wrote. 

Schuman, who didn’t mention who she accused of sexual assault by name until much later in the post, said an Oct. 30 article on RadarOnline prompted her to speak out.

On Tuesday, she tweeted her gratitude to fans for supporting her decision to speak out about the alleged incident, writing, “I just want to thank everyone for the outpouring of love and support. Thank you for bearing witness to my story. Thank you for providing me a safe place to be open and vulnerable. I love you all. Thank you for aiding me in the healing that I so desperately needed. I am free now.”

Carter, 37, responded to the allegations in a statement to People Wednesday.

“I am shocked and saddened by Ms. Schuman’s accusations. Melissa never expressed to me while we were together or at any time since that anything we did was not consensual. We went on to record a song and perform together, and I was always respectful and supportive of Melissa both personally and professionally.”

“This is the first that I am hearing about these accusations, nearly two decades later. It is contrary to my nature and everything I hold dear to intentionally cause someone discomfort or harm.”

3-strikes felon sentenced to life in prison is released early, now charged with murder

A convicted felon sentenced to spend the rest of his life in prison under Washington state's three-strikes law has been charged with shooting and killing a man earlier this month.

The life sentence of Stonney Marcus Rivers, 50, was commuted by then-Gov. Christine Gregoire in 2013 during her final days in office.

Rivers was released from prison in early 2015.

On Nov. 2, police officers were called to the Golden Kent Motel on 84th Avenue South after gunfire rang out.

Nearby Mill Creek Middle School was locked down as a precaution.

Surveillance images show Rivers leaving the scene, according to Kent Police Chief Ken Thomas.

>> Read more trending news

"We believe it was Mr. Rivers that pulled the trigger," Thomas told KIRO 7. "We certainly know, if Mr. Rivers' sentence wasn't commuted, he wouldn't be out of custody and he would not have committed that crime."

David A. Cabrera was found dead in motel room No. 18, according to a police report. He had been "shot in the face" in front of his girlfriend during what police call a suspected drug deal.

Theneious Fisteral Swafford, 47, has been charged as an accomplice in the case. Investigators believe Swafford, also a convicted felon, drove Rivers to and from the crime scene.

Rivers' lengthy police record includes multiple convictions for robbery, assault and "a propensity for violence that creates a substantial likelihood of danger to the community," according to charging documents filed this week in King County Superior Court.

Rivers' criminal history was used as an example by policymakers drawing up the state's three-strikes law in the 1990s, according to Paul Guppy of the Washington Policy Center.

"He became one of the first cases in our state that was eligible for 'three strikes, you're out,'" Guppy told KIRO 7 on Tuesday. "He was sentenced to life, so the system worked, and for every day he stayed in jail, the public was safe."

"In this case, he was released and he committed another violent crime," Guppy said. "It's a stunning failure of a system that was put into place by the voters of our state to protect the public from exactly this kind of person."

KIRO 7 reached out to then-Gov. Gregoire for comment. This is the statement her former chief of staff, Marty Loesch, released:

“King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg, the Clemency and Pardons Board and the sentencing judge, Kathleen Learned, recommended the commutation of the sentence of Mr. Stonney Marcus Rivers to me in 2013. Their recommendations carried great weight with me. Mr. Rivers had been sentenced to life without possibility of parole soon after the passage of Washington’s Persistent Offender Accountability Act, the so-called “Three Strikes Law” for the crime of Robbery 2 and by the time of his release had served twenty years in prison. Robbery 2 typically results in a sentence of two to three years. Based on these recommendations and the facts available at the time, to include his performance while in prison, I conditionally commuted Mr. Rivers sentence to his time served subject to compliance with twenty-one different conditions. The allegations against him suggest that he violated these conditions and should be returned to prison for the rest of his life. My heart goes out to the victim, family and friends.”

Trump slams 'ungrateful fool' LaVar Ball in tweets

President Donald Trump escalated his feud with NBA personality LaVar Ball in a pair of tweets Wednesday, calling Ball an “ungrateful fool” and taking full credit for getting Ball’s son and two of his UCLA basketball teammates back to the U.S. after the trio was accused of shoplifting in China.

>> Read more trending news

“It wasn’t the White House, it wasn’t the State Department, it wasn’t father LaVar’s so-called people on the ground in China that got his son out of a long term prison sentence - IT WAS ME,” the president wrote in a tweet posted around 5:30 a.m. Wednesday. “Remember LaVar, shoplifting is NOT a little thing. It’s a really big deal, especially in China. Ungrateful fool!”

Trump and Ball have engaged in a verbal back-and-forth since the president took credit for freeing Ball’s son, LiAngelo, and two of his teammates, Cody Riley and Jalen Hill, from a Chinese jail earlier this month. The trio was facing shoplifting charges and as many as 10 years in China’s prison system.

>> Related: WATCH: LaVar Ball fires back at Trump in heated CNN interview

LiAngelo Ball, Riley and Hill were released and allowed to return to the United States last week after Trump said he spoke with Chinese President Xi Jinping on their behalf.

“The basketball players, by the way — I know a lot of people are asking — I will tell you, when I heard about it two days ago, I had a great conversation with President Xi,” Trump said, according to The Washington Post. “What they did was unfortunate. You know, you’re talking about very long prison sentences. (The Chinese) do not play games.”

>> Related: Trump again lashes out at UCLA basketball dad LaVar Ball: 'Very ungrateful!'

LiAngelo Ball, Riley and Hill thanked their fellow teammates, school officials and the U.S. government, including Trump, for the work they did to bring them back to the U.S. LaVar Ball, however, said in an interview Monday with CNN that he wouldn’t thank Trump.

"Did he help the boys get out? I don't know,” LaVar Ball said. “If I was going to thank somebody I'd probably thank President Xi (Jinping). ... It wasn't like he was in the US and said, 'OK, there's three kids in China. I need to go over and get them.' That wasn't the thought process.”

>> Related: Trump fires back after LaVar Ball minimizes role in getting UCLA players released

LaVar Ball told CNN that he felt if Trump helped to free his son, the president shouldn’t have felt like he needed recognition.

“If you helped you shouldn't have to say anything,” LaVar Ball said. “If I help somebody, I don't walk around saying, you know, ‘I helped you now, come on now, you give me some love, I helped you.’ Come on, for real?”

“Just think LaVar, you could have spent the next 5 to 10 years during Thanksgiving with your son in China, but no NBA contract to support you,” Trump tweeted on Wednesday.

The Palm Beach Post contributed to this report.

MUST SEE: House being moved winds up stuck on road

Officials were working to remove a house that was stuck in the middle of a rural Iredell County road in North Carolina Wednesday morning.

State troopers told WSOC that the house was in the process of being moved when the truck carrying it went off the roadway and got stuck.

>> Read more trending news

Deputies said the home was about a half-mile from its destination when the trailer hauling it drove off the roadway in dense fog.

Snow Creek Road, north of Statesville, was to be closed all morning as crews moved the house from the roadway.

Troopers urged drivers to avoid the road if possible.

Parents upset after Toys R Us cancels orders; company hasn't refunded money

Parents in the Pittsburgh area are upset after their Toys R Us orders were canceled because of a website glitch.

The toys were purchased with coupon codes that either should not have have been made public or were flat-out frauds. 

>> Read more trending news

A Washington County woman claims the company still hasn't given her her money back.

When she called Toys R Us, she says she was told the "codes" she entered were fraudulent. 

"What I was saying was it wasn't fair. They honored some of them, but at some point, they were like, ‘There's so many. No, we're not going to honor all of them.’ I don't know if I believe they were fraudulent codes either."

The woman admitted she knew the company didn't intentionally publish those codes, but she figured she'd try her luck with them while they were active.

Toys R Us has not released a statement on the issue.

CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Shopper catches duo installing skimmer on mall ATM

Police are warning mall goers this holiday season after WSBTV obtained video that shows a man and woman installing a card skimmer on an ATM at Lenox Square.

A witness told WSBTV’s Carl Willis he saw it happen and told security.

"It's the season and everyone is going to be pulling out cash," the witness told Willis, asking not to be identified. "They did it very swiftly and very quick."

The man told Willis he happened to be standing on the second floor of Lenox Square when he looked down and saw a couple install two devices on an ATM.

>> Read more trending news

"I see the guy applying a lot of pressure in the top right corner. I thought that was abnormal," the man said.

Police say the couple seen on the video installed a card skimmer at an ATM in the middle of the mall’s food court

"As you watch you can see that they may have installed a pin camera," Sgt. Paul Cooper, with the Atlanta Police Department’s major fraud unit, told Willis.

With your card number and your PIN, thieves have everything they need to go on a shopping spree.Police told Willis there's been an uptick in this kind of activity in the past couple of years.

"Our best guess is because we're transitioning from the mag-stripe to the chip and pin. The chips are encrypted and it's a lot harder to duplicate those cards," Cooper said.

Cooper worries if scammers are bold enough to hit a mall ATM, there are likely many more devices out there.

"We do try to target these people. We see that they tend to cross state lines they may be working the entire eastern seaboard right now," Cooper said.

For now, shoppers will have to take steps to keep thieves from swiping your information.

"Take that extra couple of seconds. Tug on it (the card reader). Look for those cameras. Just make sure you don't get burned," Cooper told Willis.

"Definitely cover up your PIN if you're not sure that it's a valid swiper or valid scanner try using another ATM,” the witness said.

Remembering John F Kennedy

Remembering John F Kennedy
200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >