Now Playing
K95.5 Tulsa
Last Song Played
Tulsa's New Country Leader
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
K95.5 Tulsa
Last Song Played
Tulsa's New Country Leader

breaking news

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >

Driver of car that plowed into crowd protesting white nationalists identified

After violence caused authorities to stop a white nationalist rally before it began Saturday, a driver plowed his car into a crowd of protesters.

The driver has been identified as James Alex Fields, 20, of Ohio, according to CNN. He was arrested and charged with second degree murder, three counts of malicious wounding and one count of failing to stop at an accident that resulted in a death, according to police.

Department of Justice officials opened a civil rights investigation Saturday into the deadly car attack, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Virginia and the Richmond field office of the FBI said. 

“The violence and deaths in Charlottesville strike at the heart of American law and justice,” Attorney General Jeff Sessions said in a statement. “When such actions arise from racial bigotry and hatred, they betray our core values and cannot be tolerated.”

A 32-year-old woman who was crossing the street was killed and 19 people were injured, the Associated Press confirmed with hospital officials. Altogether 35 people were treated for injuries.

The incident took place approximately two hours after violent clashes between white nationalists and counter-protesters caused authorities to declare the "Unite the Right" rally an unlawful assembly, The Associated Press reported. 

>> Read more trending news

The white nationalists were protesting the city of Charlottesville's decision to remove a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. The group carried torches at a rally Friday night.

Several hundred protesters were marching when the car appeared to deliberately drive into a group of them, The Associated Press reported. Virginia State Police said injuries ranged from life-threatening to minor.

The Associated Press reported that the driver has been arrested.

This is a developing story, return for updates.

FBI agents raid former Trump campaign manager Manafort's home

FBI agents late last month carried out a search warrant at the home of President Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, seizing documents and other items, according to a report published Wednesday by The Washington Post.

>> Read more trending news

The search happened in the early morning hours of July 26, the Post reported, citing people familiar with the special counsel investigation into Russian interference in last year’s presidential election. 

>> Related: Paul Manafort's Russia ties: 5 things to know 

Suspect in killing of Missouri police officer arrested after manhunt

UPDATE, 12:54 a.m. ET Aug. 9: The man suspected of shooting and killing a Missouri police officer late Sunday reportedly has been arrested following a two-day manhunt.

According to The Associated Press, Ian McCarthy, 39, of Clinton, was arrested Tuesday and charged with first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of Clinton police officer Gary Michael, 37.

McCarthy was apprehended after a driver reported a pedestrian on a Henry County highway, NBC News reported.

ORIGINAL STORY: A Missouri police officer was shot and killed late Sunday during a traffic stop, and the suspect is still at large.

>> Read more trending news

>> Click here or scroll down for more

Mueller impanels grand jury to investigate Russian election meddling: Report

Robert Mueller, the special counsel appointed by the Justice Department in May to oversee the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election, has impaneled a grand jury, according to The Wall Street Journal.

>> Read more trending news

2 killed in gas explosion at Minneapolis private school

A natural gas explosion caused part of a Minneapolis private school to collapse Wednesday morning, killing two people and injuring at least nine others, according to officials.

>> Read more trending news

Minnehaha Academy officials said on social media that there was a gas leak and explosion at the Upper School, which serves students in grades 9 through 12.

Anthony Scaramucci out as White House communications director

Anthony Scaramucci has resigned from his position as White House communications director just days into his tenure, officials said Monday.

>> Read more trending news

"Mr. Scaramucci felt it was best to give Chief of Staff John Kelly a clean slate and the ability to build his own team," White House officials said in a statement. "We wish him all the best."

North Korea fires intercontinental ballistic missile, Pentagon says

An intercontinental ballistic missile fired by North Korea on Friday traveled about 1000 km from Mupyong-ni before splashing down in the Sea of Japan, Pentagon officials said.

>> Read more trending news

The U.S. Department of Defense detected the launch around 10:40 a.m. EDT. Pentagon spokesman Navy Capt. Jeff Davis said in a statement that officials were assessing the launch Friday.

"The North American Aerospace Defense Command determined the missile launch from North Korea did not pose a threat to North America," Davis said. "Our commitment to the defense of our allies, including the Republic of Korea and Japan, in the face of these threats, remain ironclad. We remain prepared to defend ourselves and our allies from any attack or provocation."

Joint Chiefs: Transgender policy won't change until Pentagon gets it in writing from Trump

The nation’s highest ranking military officer said in a letter Thursday to top military officials that there will not be changes to the military’s transgender policy until after President Donald Trump sends direction to the Pentagon.

>> Read more trending news

"I know there are questions about yesterday's announcement on the transgender policy by the president," Marine Gen. Joe Dunford wrote in the message, addressed to the chiefs of the services and senior enlisted leaders, according to Politico. "There will be no modifications to the current policy until the president's direction has been received by the secretary of defense and the secretary has issued implementation guidance.”

A photo of the letter was shared on Twitter Thursday by CNN reporter Barbara Starr.

Trump: Transgender people won't be allowed in the military

President Donald Trump on Wednesday said transgender people will be barred from serving “in any capacity” in the U.S. military, writing on Twitter that such service would cause “disruption” and burden the U.S. with “tremendous medical costs.”

>> Read more trending news

Current Department of Defense policy allows for transgender people to serve openly and says individuals “can no longer be discharged or otherwise separated from the military solely for being transgender individuals.”

Trump said the decision was made after he consulted his “generals and military experts.”

“Our military must be focused on decisive and overwhelming victory and cannot be burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption that transgender in the military would entail,” he wrote in a series of tweets.

Sean Spicer resigns, Sarah Huckabee Sanders named next White House press secretary

White House press secretary Sean Spicer resigned from his post Friday morning, six months and one day after taking the position.

>> Read more trending news

In a message posted to Twitter Friday afternoon, Spicer said he will continue to serve as press secretary through August.

>> Related: Sean Spicer resigns: A look at his 6 months as White House press secretary

“It's been an honor (and) a privilege to serve (President Donald Trump and) this amazing country,” he wrote.

Deputy White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders will take over his duties, newly named White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci said at a news briefing Friday.

Spicer’s resignation came in opposition to Scaramucci’s appointment, The New York Times reported.

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >