Now Playing
K95.5 Tulsa
Last Song Played
Tulsa's New Country Leader
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
K95.5 Tulsa
Last Song Played
Tulsa's New Country Leader

world

200 items
Results 41 - 50 of 200 < previous next >

Paris plans to ban all gas cars by 2030

France’s capital city, the world’s most visited city, according to Reuters, plans to ban all petrol and diesel-fueled vehicles by 2030, officials announced Thursday. Paris will encourage commuters who don’t walk, bike or use public transportation to switch to electric cars.

>> Read more trending news

The move is, in part, a pollution-reducing effort.

“This is about planning for the long term with a strategy that will reduce greenhouse gases,” Christophe Najdovski, a transportation policy official for the city of Paris, told France Info radio. “Transport is one of the main greenhouse gas producers ... So we are planning an exit from combustion engine vehicles, or fossil-energy vehicles, by 2030.”

According to the CBC, city officials said it was introducing a “feasible and realistic” goal of phasing out of gas vehicles instead of calling the move a “ban” on such cars.

Paris has seen significant amounts of rising air pollution in the last few years. In response, Paris Mayor Ann Hidalgo and government officials have approved “no-car zones, car-free days and fines for drivers who enter the city in cars that are more than 20 years old,” Reuters reported. Officials have also approved days of free public transportation, introduced rentable bikes and electric cars in the city and banned traffic from the popular Champs-Elysees Avenue once a month, among other measures. 

Officials hope that France as an entire country will ditch cars dependent on fossil fuels by 2040.

“This government goal affects the whole French territory, rural zones included,” a Paris City Hall statement said. “If we want to achieve this, it implies that the end of diesel and gasoline should take place several years in advance in urban areas, and particularly in big cities.”

Oxford, England, recently announced plans to ban non-electric cars from parts of the city by 2020.

Paris will host the Olympic Games in 2024. There are about 32 million household cars in France, according to the London Evening Standard.

>> Related: Los Angeles to host 2028 Summer Olympics; Paris wins 2024 Games

Harvey Weinstein investigations launched in New York, London

Officials on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean are investigating complaints against Hollywood film producer Harvey Weinstein amid reports that he sexually harassed women for decades, according to multiple reports.

>> Read more trending news

Police in London told The Guardian on Thursday that a complaint was made against Weinstein on Wednesday and that officers were investigating the report.

The alleged assault took place in the London area in the 1980s, according to BBC News.

In a statement released to Variety magazine, New York police said that officers are working to learn of any additional complaints against Weinstein.

“No filed complaints have been identified as of this time,” police said on Thursday morning.

The reports come amid a slew of sexual assault and harassment allegations against Weinstein, who co-founded entertainment company Miramax. Among Weinstein’s accusers are high-profile Hollywood stars, including Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow and Ashley Judd.

>> Related: Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow add to Harvey Weinstein sexual harassment claims 

Women started to come forward after The New York Times published a report last week detailing complaints of sexual harassment made against Weinstein over nearly three decades.

Three women, former aspiring actress Lucia Evans, Italian actress Asia Argento and a woman who was not identified, accused Weinstein of rape in a report published Tuesday by The New Yorker.

>> Related: 3 women accuse Harvey Weinstein of rape: report

Weinstein was ousted from his position at The Weinstein Company on Sunday in the wake of the New York Times report. His wife, Marchesa designer Georgina Chapman, said Tuesday that she was leaving Weinstein in light of the allegations. Weinstein said in a statement on Wednesday that he was going to counseling.

He denied the rape allegations in a statement to The New Yorker issued by one of his representatives.

>> Related: Harvey Weinstein’s wife Georgina Chapman leaving him amid sexual harassment allegations

New York police opened an investigation into Weinstein in 2015, after Filipina-Italian model Ambra Battilana Gutierrez told officers that she was groped by Weinstein without consent.

Authorities outfitted Gutierrez with a wire and had her meet with the producer. In an audio recording of the meeting published by The New Yorker on Tuesday, Weinstein can be heard apologizing after he’s confronted about the alleged assault.

>> Related: Harvey Weinstein recording was not enough to charge him, DA says

"Why yesterday (did) you touch my breast?" Gutierrez asks in the recording.

"Oh please, I'm sorry,” he answers. “I'm used to that.”

Despite the recording, no charges were filed against Weinstein.

Prosecutors said that they were never consulted about the New York Police Department’s plan to get Weinstein to admit to the assault on tape and that the tape was not enough evidence to convict the 65-year-old. Police defended their actions, saying that the recording was one of multiple bits of evidence collected by officers and presented to the Manhattan District Attorney for prosecution.

American hostage Caitlan Coleman, family rescued in Pakistan after years of captivity

An American woman, her Canadian husband and their three children were rescued in Pakistan on Wednesday, five years after the couple was captured by a terrorist group while hiking in Afghanistan.

>> Read more trending news

The rescue, prompted by a tip from U.S. intelligence officers tracking the family, was announced in a statement Thursday from Pakistan’s army.

President Donald Trump identified the rescued captives as 31-year-old American Caitlan Coleman, 34-year-old Canadian Joshua Boyle and their three children.

Coleman and Boyle were abducted in 2012 and held hostage by the Haqqani network, a terrorist organization with ties to the Taliban, the president said.

“Yesterday, the United States government, working in conjunction with the Government of Pakistan, secured the release of the Boyle-Coleman family from captivity in Pakistan,” Trump said. “Today they are free.”

Is Facebook down? Users report problems worldwide

Thousands of social media users across the globe reported that Facebook was down on Wednesday morning.

>> Read more trending news

Instagram users also reported problems with the photo sharing social media site starting around 11:05 a.m. EDT, according to downdetector.com, a website that tracks site issues.

Problems with Facebook first surfaced around 8:20 a.m. EDT, according to downdetector.com. A map compiled by the website showed reports were most prevalent in the United States, Europe and parts of South America.

Kate Middleton debuts tiny baby bump in first public outing since pregnancy announcement

Duchess Catherine made her first public appearance since announcing her third pregnancy in honor of World Mental Health Day alongside Prince Harry and Prince William on Tuesday.

>> Prince Harry and Meghan Markle: A relationship timeline

The duchess wore a blue frock and black heels as she attended a reception at St. James Palace, her tiny baby bump on display. The reception marks the first time Catherine has been seen in public since announcing her pregnancy in early September.

>> PHOTOS: Meghan Markle through the years

The mother of two suffers from hyperemesis gravidarum, a severe form of morning sickness in her pregnancies, and it forced her to miss several engagements, including Prince George’s first day of school.

“The duchess’ condition is improving but she’s still suffering from hyperemesis gravidarum,” a royal aide told E! News. “She’s delighted to be here tonight.”

>> On Rare.us: Duchess Catherine has a new secret weapon to help aid against morning sickness

She is reportedly less than 12 weeks into her pregnancy.

The royals celebrated the impact of their Heads Together Charity that encourages people to speak out about their struggles with mental health.

Prince William reportedly spoke about how “proud” he was to be involved and credited his wife for coming up with the idea.

>> Read more trending news

“It was Catherine who first realized that all three of us were working on mental health in our individual areas of focus,” he said. “She had seen that at the core of adult issues like addiction and family breakdown, unresolved childhood mental health issues were often part of the problem.”

Jimmy Carter offers to sit down with North Korea’s Kim Jong Un

Former President Jimmy Carter is offering to sit down with North Korea’s Kim Jong Un, according to a retired University of Georgia professor – who has passed the word to a Korean newspaper.

>> Read more trending news

Park Han-shik, an emeritus professor of international affairs at the University of Georgia, reported having the conversation with Carter, according to the Korea JoongAn Daily:

>> PHOTOS: Jimmy Carter through the years

"'Carter wants to meet with the North Korean leader and play a constructive role for peace on the Korean Peninsula as he did in 1994,' Park, 78, told the JoongAng Ilbo over phone after meeting with the 93-year-old former president."Park, a prominent scholar of North Korea-related issues who has traveled to Pyongyang over 50 times, visited Carter, who received the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002 for his work with the Atlanta-based Carter Center, at the former president’s home in Plains, Georgia, on Sept. 28."

>> Former President Jimmy Carter turns 93

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has requested confirmation from the Carter Center.

White tigers maul zoo caretaker to death

Tiger cubs mauled a man to death at a wildlife park in southern India on Sunday, according to news reports. 

>> Read more trending news

“The victim was assisting the caretaker in pushing the cats into their enclosure for the night when they turned around and pounced on him as one of the four gates was not shut and latched by then,” the park’s boss, Santosh Kumar, told the Guardian

The accident happened at Bannerghatta Biological Park on the outskirts of Bangalore where Anjeneya was helping with two 18-month-old tiger cubs, the Hindu reported. 

>> On PalmBeachPost.com: Tiger attack at Florida zoo

A preliminary investigation revealed that Anjeneya did not latch one of the gates of the tigers’ enclosure. 

Kumar told the Guardian that park officials were trying to get to the 35-year-old man, who goes by Anji, after he was attacked, but the tigers were guarding his body and would not allow them near it, the Hindu reported. 

>> On PalmBeachPost.com: Woman shot dead after running over cop in Florida

Workers staged a strike following the incident asking for better pay for park employees and compensation for Anji’s son. They told the Hindu that Anji was hired just a week ago to help clean the zoo, which houses more than 1,900 animals. 

Read more at the Guardian or the Hindu

Trump's cryptic tweet about North Korea: 'Only one thing will work'

President Donald Trump took to Twitter on Saturday to double down on recent ominous remarks about North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

>> Read more trending news

"Presidents and their administrations have been talking to North Korea for 25 years, agreements made and massive amounts of money paid hasn't worked, agreements violated before the ink was dry, makings fools of U.S. negotiators. Sorry, but only one thing will work!" Trump wrote

Trump’s tweets follow a tense few weeks between the United States and North Korea. On the floor of the United Nations, Trump and the North Korean foreign minister traded accusations and threatsOn Oct. 1, Trump tweeted that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson should save his “energy, we’ll do what has to be done.”

Last week, Trump had dinner with military leaders and their spouses. Before the event, he called in the press corps and directed them to take a picture of the group. Surrounded by his military top-brass, the president remarked, “You know what this represents? It could be the calm before the storm.” However, he hasn’t remarked what “the storm” he alluded to might be, and some suspect he was just playing up the cameras.

>> Watch the moment here

The United States and North Korea have also been flexing their military muscles at each other over the past few months. Kim's regime has launched multiple missiles, setting the nations around him like Japan and South Korea on edge. In response, the United States has flown bombers right up to the border and run military exercises with the South Koreans.

‘McVegan’ burger makes debut in Finland

McDonald’s introduced its “McVegan” burger on Wednesday, but vegan lovers will have to travel a long way to find it for now.

>> Read more trending news

The fast-food giant said its newest menu item will only be available at one restaurant — Tampere, Finland — and for a limited time, Elite Daily reported. The burger will be available through Oct. 21, Fox News reported.

The burger consists of mustard, pickles, onion, lettuce, tomato and a soy-based patty on a sesame seed bun. Food & Wine reported the McDonald's Finland also serves vegan fries, but that's just because their fry recipe is vegan by default (McDonald's fries in the U.S. are made with a hydrolyzed milk, and therefore not technically vegan), Fox News reported.

A McDonald’s spokesman told Today that the company was not planning to offer the burger anywhere else — for now.

4 children killed after man sets fire to Brazilian day care center

At least four children were killed and several others were injured Thursday after a man set fire to a day care center in southeastern Brazil, CNN reported.

>> Read more trending news

The fire was started by a security guard working at the facility, who allegedly set the facility ablaze before torching himself, according to the Brazilian state news agency.

The children who died ranged in age between 4 and 6, CNN reported. The day care center was in Janauba.

Police spokesman Major Gracielle Rodrigues told CNN a teacher was in a critical condition in the hospital, while state media said 20 others had also been injured in the fire, including some children.

Rodrigues confirmed that the man who was believed to have started the fire died shortly after being taken to the hospital, CNN reported.

200 items
Results 41 - 50 of 200 < previous next >