Now Playing
K95.5 Tulsa
Last Song Played
Tulsa's New Country Leader
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
K95.5 Tulsa
Last Song Played
Tulsa's New Country Leader

sports

200 items
Results 61 - 70 of 200 < previous next >

ESPN suspends host Jemele Hill over NFL tweets

Sports broadcaster ESPN announced Monday that it suspended host Jemele Hill over “a second violation” of the company’s social media guidelines.

>> Read more trending news

“She previously acknowledged letting her colleagues and company down with an impulsive tweet,” ESPN officials said in a statement, apparently referring to a Sept. 11 tweet in which Hill called President Donald Trump a “white supremacist.”

 

Reports: Mike Pence's brief time at Colts game cost taxpayers at least $240,000

Mike Pence made headlines Sunday after the vice president and his wife left an NFL game in which the San Francisco 49ers were to face off against the Indianapolis Colts in Indianapolis. 

>> Read more trending news 

Pence, the former governor of Indiana, expressed excitement before the game on Twitter, where he wrote that he was looking forward to cheering on the Colts and celebrating the career of Peyton Manning, who played for the Colts from 1998 to 2011 and retired last year after 18 seasons in the league.

But when San Francisco 49er players knelt during the national anthem, Pence abruptly left the game.

“I left today's Colts game because (the president) and I will not dignify any event that disrespects our soldiers, our Flag, or our National Anthem,” Pence wrote on Twitter. 

Donald Trump praised the move

Later, critics and politicians began adding up how much Pence’s brief trip cost taxpayers.

According to the Air Force, a flight on Air Force 2 costs about $30,000 per hour, CNN reported. That’s down from an estimated $42,936 per hour per trip in 2013, according to Time

Pence flew from Las Vegas to Indianapolis on Saturday and then from Indianapolis to Los Angeles on Sunday. 

The trip, which took at about 3.5 hours on the way there and about 4.5 hours for the second leg, cost at least $240,000, according to CNN.

And that doesn’t include the cost of rental cars for Department of Defense and Department of Homeland Security personnel supporting the trip, The Indianapolis Star reported. There’s also the Saturday hotel room in Indianapolis and the cost of the extra security to consider.

A White House aide said if it weren’t for the game, Pence would have flown from Las Vegas to Washington, D.C., then to Los Angeles.

“The Vice President was not going to miss the Las Vegas memorial prayer walk on Saturday, which he was honored to attend on behalf of President Trump,” an aide said in a statement. “If the Vice President did not go to Indiana for the Colts game, he would have flown back to D.C. for the evening -- which means flying directly over Indiana. Instead, he made a shorter trip to Indiana for a game that was on his schedule for several weeks.”

If Pence had flown directly from Las Vegas to Los Angeles -- a 90-minute trip -- the cost of the flight would have been about $45,000.

Pence flew to Los Angeles for a political event. Some of the costs of the flight from Indianapolis to Los Angeles will be reimbursed by the Republican National Committee; the exact amount is unclear.

Miami Dolphins offensive line coach resigns after video allegedly shows him snorting powder

Chris Foerster resigned as Miami Dolphins offensive line coach, one day after a video was released that appeared to show him snorting a white powdered substance.

The Dolphins became aware of the video Sunday night and began to work to confirm its authenticity and when it was recorded.

>> Read more trending news

It’s an embarrassing moment for Foerster and the Dolphins, which brings unwanted national attention in some ways reminiscent of the way the the Richie Incognito bullying scandal did in 2013.

“I am resigning from my position with the Miami Dolphins and accept full responsibility for my actions,” Foerster said in a statement released Monday. “I want to apologize to the organization and my sole focus is on getting the help that I need with the support of my family and medical professionals.”

>> Related: Miami Dolphins investigating video that allegedly shows offensive line coach snorting powder

Foerster was Miami’s offensive line coach under coach Adam Gase for two seasons, returning to a franchise he worked for in 2004. That season, Foerster held the role of offensive coordinator under Dave Wannstedt after Joel Collier resigned for health reasons.

In the video, which lasts just under a minute, Foerster addresses a camera and speaks of missing the person watching, and states that he is snorting the substance before heading to a meeting.

Foerster can be seen snorting three lines of a substance with a $20 bill.

In a statement, the Dolphins said, “We were made aware of the video late last night and have no tolerance for this behavior. After speaking with Chris this morning, he accepted full responsibility and we accepted his resignation effective immediately. Although Chris is no longer with the organization, we will work with him to get the help he needs during this time.”

>> Former NFL player: Women are 'incapable' of knowing football

Here are a few excerpts from the video:

“Hey baby, miss you, thinking about you. How about me going into a meeting and doing this before I go?

“There’s those big grains falling, but I miss you, I miss you a lot.

“What do you think, I’m crazy? I don’t know babe, it’s going to be a while before we can do this again, cause I know you’re going to keep that baby. But I think about you when I do it. I think about how much I miss you. How high we get together. How much fun we have when we get together. It was so much fun. Last little bit before I go to my meeting.”

>> Pence abruptly leaves Colts’ game after players take a knee during anthem

The Palm Beach Post was alerted to the presence of the video posted on a Facebook page by a Twitter notification from a person alleging to be Kijuana Nige.

Foerster began his coaching career at Colorado State in 1982 before moving on to Stanford and Minnesota.

In 1993, Foerster began his NFL coaching career with the Vikings, moving on to Tampa, Indianapolis, Miami, Baltimore, San Francisco, Washington, San Francisco (again) and Miami (again), under coach Adam Gase.

After a 1-4 start last season, Miami’s had a better season thusfar in large part due to improvement by the offensive line. Less than two weeks ago, Gase credited Foerster for the work he does getting multiple players ready to play multiple positions.

During the final 11 games of the 2016 regular season, Miami ranked third in the NFL, with 132.9 rushing yards per game, and tied for third with 13 sacks allowed.

>> Follow the Daily Dolphin on Facebook

Foerster has mentored six players that were selected to 15 Pro Bowls – center Jeff Christy (2000), center Tony Mayberry (1996-99), guard Randall McDaniel (1993, 1995, 2000), tackle Jonathan Ogden (2005-07), tackle Joe Staley (2015) and tackle Trent Williams (2012-14).

With Miami, Foerster has worked with offensive linemen such as Branden Albert, Laremy Tunsil, Mike Pouncey and Ja’Wuan James, all former first-round draft choices.

Miami’s assistant offensive line coach is Chris Kuper, who has 10 years of NFL experience and is in his second season with the Dolphins.

Miami Dolphins investigating video that allegedly shows offensive line coach snorting powder

The Miami Dolphins are aware of a video which appears to show offensive line coach Chris Foerster snorting a white powdered substance.

“We were just made aware of the video and will have no comment at this time,” the Miami Dolphins said in a statement.

>> Follow the Daily Dolphin on Facebook

The team is working to confirm when the video was recorded and its validity.

Foerster has been Miami’s offensive line coach in 2016 and 2017, returning to a franchise he worked for in 2004.

>> Former NFL player: Women are 'incapable' of knowing football

That season, Foerster held the role of offensive coordinator under Dave Wannstedt after Joel Collier resigned for health reasons.

The person in the video is addressing a camera and speaks of missing the person watching, and states that he is snorting the substance before heading to a meeting.

Foerster began his coaching career at Colorado State in 1982 before moving on to Stanford and Minnesota.

>> Pence abruptly leaves Colts’ game after players take a knee during anthem

In 1993, Foerster began his NFL coaching career with the Vikings, moving on to Tampa, Indianapolis, Miami, Baltimore, San Francisco, Washington, San Francisco (again) and Miami (again), under coach Adam Gase.

After a 1-4 start last season, Miami’s play has improved in large part due to improvement by the offensive line.

During the final 11 games of the 2016 regular season, Miami ranked third in the NFL with 132.9 rushing yards per game and tied for third with just 13 sacks allowed.

>> Read more trending news

Foerster has mentored six players who were selected to 15 Pro Bowls – center Jeff Christy (2000), center Tony Mayberry (1996-99), guard Randall McDaniel (1993, 1995, 2000), tackle Jonathan Ogden (2005-07), tackle Joe Staley (2015) and tackle Trent Williams (2012-14).

With Miami, Foerster has worked with offensive linemen such as Branden Albert, Laremy Tunsil, Mike Pouncey and Ja’Wuan James, all former first-round draft choices.

NBA great Connie Hawkins dies at 75

NBA Hall of Fame forward Connie Hawkins has died at the age of 75.

His family confirmed Hawkins died Friday evening, KPNX reported. 

>> Read more trending news

Hawkins, nicknamed "The Hawk," played for the Phoenix Suns from 1969-1973. He was a four-time NBA All-Star and his number was retired in the Suns' Ring of Honor, KPNX reported.

Hawkins was initially banned from the NBA after being associated with a college basketball gambling scandal, NBA.com reported. Hawkins' career included stints in the American Basketball Association, as a Harlem Globetrotter and a legend on  New York City playgrounds.

Artist creates dream bedroom for young Cubs fan with cancer

An Illinois boy returning home after receiving treatment for a rare cancer was greeted by a bedroom renovation designed just for the young Cubs fan.

When Ken Markiewicz heard a WGN report about Joey Ventimiglia, 7, a young Cubs fan battling cancer, he felt compelled to use his artistic skills to show his support.

>> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news

Ventimiglia was diagnosed with Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma, which is a rare type of brain tumor. Because of the tumor’s position, surgery is not an option, WGN reported. Ventimiglia has been receiving experimental treatment in Mexico to battle the aggressive cancer. 

Markiewicz, who owns Crayons Gone Wild, offered to paint a Cubs-themed mural for Ventimiglia, free of charge.

Markiewicz reached out to the Ventimiglia family with his idea and while Ventimiglia was at his latest treatment, Markiewicz transformed the boy's bedroom into a dream for a Cubs fan. Markiewicz painted a baseball on the boy's closet and got the entire Cubs team to sign the artwork. He also recreated the famous ivy-covered wall at Wrigley Field.

Ventimiglia was in awe when he was wheeled into his bedroom and saw the Cubs-inspired artwork. To Markiewicz, he simply said, "Thank you."

Cash and Bradley Football Friday

Cash & Bradley's Football Friday Cheer Challenge is back! Each week cheerleading squads from area high schools compete to win $1,000 and the K95.5 Mallory Winegarten Memorial Trophy Driven by Your Oklahoma Ford Dealers…. The BEST in Oklahoma

Be sure to join K95.5 and your Oklahoma Ford Dealers on the air each Friday morning to hear your favorite team!

DATESCHOOLKEYWORD TO 959209/15 @ 7:00AM TO 9/21 @ 11:59PMSKIATOOKSKIATOOK9/22 @ 7:00AM TO 9/28 @ 11:59PMCATOOSACATOOSA9/29 @ 7:00AM TO 10/5 @ 11:59PMCLAREMORECLAREMORE10/6 @ 7:00AM TO 10/12 @ 11:59PMOWASSOOWASSO10/13 @ 7:00AM TO 10/19 @ 11:59PMJENKSJENKS10/27 @ 7:00AM TO 11/2 @ 11:59PMSAPULPASAPULPA11/3 @ 7:00AM TO 11/9 @ 11:59PMBIXBYBIXBY11/10 @ 7:00AM TO 11/16 @ 11:59PMBROKEN ARROWBA

World Cup sites for North American bid in 2026 trimmed to 32

Organizers leading a North American bid to host the 2026 World Cup trimmed its list of potential host cities to 32 on Wednesday, and 254 cities in the United States remain in the running as venues for soccer’s showcase event,  The Washington Post reported.

>> Read more trending news

The U.S. front-runners include Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle and Washington, the Post reported. Other American cities in the running were Baltimore; Charlotte, North Carolina; Cincinnati; Denver; Detroit; Kansas City, Missouri; Las Vegas; Minneapolis; Nashville, Tennessee; Orlando, Florida; Phoenix; Salt Lake City; and Tampa, Florida.

U.S. cities eliminated from consideration were Birmingham, Alabama; Cleveland; Indianapolis; Jacksonville, Florida; New Orleans; Pittsburgh; and San Antonio, Texas. The two Canadian cities dropped from the list were Regina and Ottawa.

The World Cup was last staged in North America during the summer of 1994.

If the North American bid is successful, the United States would stage 60 matches in about a dozen venues, the Post reported. Mexico and Canada would have 10 games apiece.

All three Mexican bidding cities (Mexico City, Guadalajara and Monterrey) are widely expected to make the final cut. Canada will probably settle for two venues, with Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal and Edmonton in the running.

Representatives from the remaining cities will meet in Houston next month for a working session with the United Bid Committee. FIFA — soccer’s international governing body — will announce the winner in June, the Post reported.

 

Cam Newton issues video apology after sexist comment to female reporter

Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton apologized in a Twitter video post Thursday night for sexist comments made to a female reporter.

>> Read more trending news

“After careful thought, I understand that my word choice was extremely degrading and disrespectful to women," the Carolina Panthers quarterback said at the start of the nearly two-minute video. “To be honest, that was not my intentions. And if you are a person who took offense to what I said, I sincerely apologize to you.”

When Charlotte Observer reporter Jourdan Rodrigue asked Newton about wide receiver Devin Funchess’ route running Wednesday, Newton laughed and said, “It’s funny to hear a female talk about routes. It’s funny.”

The NFL released a statement Wednesday saying that Newton's response to the question was “just plain wrong and disrespectful to the exceptional female reporters and all journalists who cover our league.”

Dannon, the maker of Oikos yogurt, ended its endorsment with Newton on Thursday. Company spokesperson Michael Neuwirth released a statement saying it was “shocked and disheartened” at the former league MVP's behavior and comments.

Related: Cam Newton loses Dannon endorsement deal over sexist comment

Panthers coach Ron Rivera addressed the situation briefly during his press conference Thursday, saying, “I think Cam made a mistake. I understand he had a conversation where he pretty much said he shouldn't have said, what he said.”

Rodrigue issued a statement Wednesday evening saying she and Newton did speak after the news conference, but said the quarterback didn't apologize for his remarks.

Related: NFL: Cam Newton’s response to female reporter ‘disrespectful’

Rodrigue was back in the locker room on Thursday, flanked by Mike Persinger, the executive sports editor of The Charlotte Observer. On Wednesday, Persinger said Newton's comments were “unfortunate and out of line.”

She issued an apology herself on Thursday after coming under fire for using a racial slur in tweets she posted about four years ago. The tweets were first reported by BlackSportsOnline.com.

“I apologize for the offensive tweets form my Twitter account from 4/5 years ago,” Rodrigue said on her Twitter page. “There is no excuse for these tweets and the sentiment behind them. I am deeply sorry and apologize.”

Rodrigue was a college student at Arizona State at the time of the tweets. When asked about the tweets, Persinger said “she has owned them and apologized for them.”

Cam Newton loses Dannon endorsement deal over sexist comment

When Charlotte Observer reporter Jourdan Rodrigue asked Newton about wide receiver Devin Funchess' route running, the former league MVP smiled and said, "It's funny to hear a female talk about routes. It's funny."

>> Read more trending news 

After the incident, The Dannon Company dropped Newton, who had an endorsement deal with the dairy company.

“We are shocked and disheartened at the behavior and comments of Cam Newton towards Jourdan Rodrigue, which we perceive as sexist and disparaging to all women,” company officials wrote in a statement. “It is entirely inconsistent with our commitment to fostering equality and inclusion in every workplace. It's simply not OK to belittle anyone based on gender. We have shared our concerns with Cam and will no longer work with him.”

Carolina spokesman Steven Drummond said in a statement to The Associated Press that Newton had a conversation with Rodrigue after the news conference ended and that Newton expressed regret for his remarks.

Rodrigue released a statement through The Charlotte Observer via email saying that Newton did not apologize when they spoke after the news conference.

She said she "was dismayed by his response, which not only belittled me, but countless other women before me and beside me who work in similar jobs. I sought Mr. Newton out as he left the locker room a few minutes later. He did not apologize for his comments."

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said Wednesday night in a statement that Newton's comments "are just plain wrong and disrespectful to the exceptional female reporters and all journalists who cover our league. They do not reflect the thinking of the league."

Drummond said the Panthers "strive as a department to make the environment for media comfortable for everyone covering the team."

Mike Persinger, the executive sports editor of The Charlotte Observer, said Newton's comments were "unfortunate and out of line."

"The question Jourdan asked during the news conference was a good one, like countless other questions about football strategy and nuance she has asked in the course of doing her job," Persinger said.

Rodrigue joined The Charlotte Observer as a Panthers beat reporter last year.

She wrote on Twitter, "I don't think it's 'funny' to be a female and talk about routes. I think it's my job."

>> Related: NFL: Cam Newton's response to female reporter 'disrespectful'

200 items
Results 61 - 70 of 200 < previous next >