Now Playing
K95.5 Tulsa
Last Song Played
Tulsa's New Country Leader
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
K95.5 Tulsa
Last Song Played
Tulsa's New Country Leader

pro sports

200 items
Results 41 - 50 of 200 < previous next >

Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor: By the numbers

Big deal or big hype? We’ll find out Saturday night when Floyd Mayweather meets Conor McGregor in a super welterweight boxing match in Las Vegas.

>> Read more trending news

Mayweather is 49-0 and has won 12 world titles in five weight classes. He is coming out of two years of inactivity to fight McGregor, the UFC star who is 21-3 as a professional.

Here are some last-minute numbers to crunch as the opening bell draws near:

8 oz. -- The size of the boxing gloves the two fighters will use. Normally, boxers use 10 oz. gloves in fights sanctioned by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

12 rounds -- The scheduled length of the bout. "It won't go the distance, mark my words," Mayweather said. 

26 -- The number of knockouts in Mayweather’s pro career.

40 -- Mayweather’s age. It could be a factor against McGregor, who is 29.

74 inches – McGregor’s reach when throwing punches – he will hold a two-inch advantage over Mayweather.

$99.95 – The cost to order a high-definition broadcast of the fight on pay-per-view.

154 pounds – The official weight limit in the fight. At Friday’s weigh-in, Mayweather tipped the scales at 149.5 pounds, CBS Sports reported. McGregor, making his pro boxing debut, weighed in at 153 pounds.

3,360 – The number of diamonds included on “The Money Belt,” which will be awarded to the fight’s winner. The belt also will include 600 sapphires and 300 emeralds.

20,000 -- The seating capacity of Las Vegas’s T-Mobile Arena, where the bout will be held.

4.9 million – The number of pay-per-view orders that UFC chief Dana White expects the fight to draw, which would be a record.

$300 million – The amount of money Mayweather said he will earn from the match. “Just being real. They call me ‘Money Mayweather’ for a reason,” he told Fox Business in an email interview. McGregor is set to earn anywhere from $50 million to $100 million, according to various estimates. Both fighters approved a confidential agreement on how the purse will be split, Rare reported. Mayweather is guaranteed $100 million.

$700 million – Projected revenue for Mayweather vs. McGregor from pay-per-view buys, ticket sales and other sources of income,. By comparison, Mayweather’s record-breaking match with Manny Pacquiao in 2015 yielded an estimated $600 million.

NYPD officers support Colin Kaepernick at rally

Police officers in New York City are throwing their badges behind polarizing figure Colin Kaepernick.

The former football star came under heavy criticism for kneeling during the national anthem last year and remains unsigned by any team.

On Saturday, a group of NYPD officers showed up at an event in support of Kaepernick.

Sgt. Edwin Raymond told the New York Daily News: “What Colin Kaepernick did is try to bring awareness that this nation, unfortunately, has ignored for far too long. ... And that’s the issue of racism in America and policing in America. We decided to gather here today because of the way he’s being railroaded for speaking the obvious truth.”

>> Read more trending news

Officers wore black shirts with #WeStandWithKap scrawled across their chests. Supporters of the quarterback insist that he’s been blackballed for his behavior.

One said, “The fact that Kaepernick is not in the NFL has nothing to do with stats on the football field.”

Even legendary NYPD officer Frank Serpico returned to his old stomping grounds to attend the rally and show his support for the former 49er. He said, “I am here to support anyone who has the courage to stand up against injustice and oppression anywhere in this country and the world.”

In related news, filmmaker Spike Lee made headlines two weeks ago when he tweeted that would be a rally for Kaepernick in New York City called “United We Stand,” taking place on Aug. 23.

Charles Barkley offers brutally honest take on Confederate statue debate

Former basketball star Charles Barkley recently weighed in on an argument that has the entire nation riled up: the removal of Confederate statues.

>> Watch the interview here

“I’m not going to waste my time worrying about these Confederate statues. ... I’m going to keep doing great things, No. 1 in the black community because I’m black,” Barkley said in an interview with Rick Karle of WBRC.

>> Charlie Daniels compares Confederate statue removal to ISIS' actions

He continued: “I’m not going to waste my time worrying about a neo-Nazi who’s going to hate me no matter what.”

>> There are hundreds of Confederate monuments, not just in the South

When asked if the best option is to leave the statues up and ignore them, Barkley answered, “I’ve always ignored them. I’m 54 years old; I’ve never thought about those statues a day in my life. I think if you ask most black people, to be honest, they haven’t thought a day in their life about those stupid statues.”

Barkley has weighed in before on the Confederate statue and flag debate. In 2004, he said he was on his way to a NASCAR race and turned around when he saw 10 Confederate flags.

>> Read more trending news

Barkley was a star player with the Philadelphia 76ers and then with the Phoenix Suns, where he earned the NBA Most Valuable Player award.

Photos: 2017 Pro Football Hall of Fame induction ceremony

Morton Andersen, Terrell Davis, Kenny Easley, Jerry Jones, Jason Taylor, LaDainian Tomlinson and Kurt Warner were inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Aug. 5, 2017.

Beyoncé interested in buying share of Houston Rockets, report says

Singer-songwriter Beyoncé is interested in buying a stake in the Houston Rocketsaccording to a Bloomberg report.

>> Beyoncé’s wax figure restyled and ‘adjusted’ after criticism

The Houston native is mulling an investment in a franchise that owner Leslie Alexander announced last month that he was planning to sell. Alexander paid $85 million for the Rockets in 1993. Forbes valued the organization at $1.65 billion earlier this year.

>> Read more trending news

Beyoncé's representatives did not respond to a request for comment.

Read more here.

Pete Rose accused of sex with underage girl in 1970s in court filing

Via a court filing in a lawsuit, Pete Rose has been accused statutory rape.

>> Watch the news report here

WCPO reports that lawyers for John Dowd obtained a sworn statement from a woman claiming she had sex with the former Cincinnati Reds star player and manager in the 1970s when she was under 16, the age of consent in Ohio.

>> On MyDaytonDailyNews.com: Rose’s lawsuit against Dowd allowed to move forward

According to court documents, Rose admitted to a sexual relationship with the woman but claimed it did not begin until she was 16 or take place outside of Ohio, another accusation leveled against him. Rose was 34 and married with children at the time.

>> Pete Rose's record-breaking ball sells for $403K

Rose filed a defamation suit against Dowd after Dowd told a radio station in 2015 that Michael Bertolini, Rose’s business partner and alleged bookie, told him he used to arranged relationships with underage girls for Rose during spring training.

Bertolini has denied saying that to Dowd, who compiled the report that led to Rose accepting a ban from baseball in 1989.

Rose denied that allegation and filed a defamation suit in federal court in Pennsylvania. Earlier this month, a judge ruled the suit could proceed.

>> Read more trending news

Dowd, a longtime high-powered lawyer who joined President Donald Trump’s legal team in June, is reportedly intending “to discredit Rose as a serial liar and a womanizer who regularly had sex with teenagers,” according to WCPO.

Martin Garbus, a lawyer representing Rose, told WCPO that the woman lied in her statement and “Dowd has sent out a number of investigators, and he has spoken to many, many women in an attempt to get them to falsely claim that Pete had statutorily raped a girl.”

Lucky Whitehead cut from Dallas Cowboys after link to shoplifting arrest

Dallas Cowboys receiver Lucky Whitehead has been cut, sources tell All22.com.

WFAA-TV reporter Joe Trahan was the first to report the third-year receiver had been let go.

The news came just minutes after NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported that Dave Rich, Whitehead’s agent, said it was near logistically impossible for Whitehead to have committed a June 22 shoplifting for which he was allegedly arrested in Prince William County, Virginia.

According to The Associated Press, Prince William County police said Rodney Darnell Whitehead Jr., 25 – Whitehead's real name – was arrested about 1:30 a.m. June 22 for stealing about $40 of items from a convenience store.

>> Read more trending news

Police couldn’t confirm that the man was the NFL player, but records matched his birthdate, the AP reported.

According to online records, a court date was missed July 6, leading to another charge. Another court date was set for Aug. 10.

Rich claimed that this was a case of mistaken identity, the AP reported. Whitehead told reporters that he “didn’t know about” the incident.

Rich told Rapoport that Whitehead could not have been in the area because he didn't fly to Virginia until 7:20 a.m. June 22 – several hours after the incident reportedly took place.

– The Associated Press contributed to this report.

WATCH: Michael Phelps races great white shark ... sort of

Michael Phelps may be fast, but apparently not as fast as a great white shark.

>> Read more trending news

In Discovery's highly anticipated Shark Week special "Phelps vs Shark: Great Gold vs Great White," the 28-time Olympic medalist wore a special wetsuit and monofin to take on a great white – well, sort of – in a 100-meter race.

>> Watch the clip here

Unfortunately for fans, Phelps, with a time of 38.1 seconds, lost by 2 seconds. But that wasn't the biggest disappointment: Instead of facing a real shark, Phelps was shown alongside a computer simulation of a great white. The shark's "time" in the race was based on speed data collected by scientists.

Fans were not amused.

Floyd Mayweather’s hype: Obama might show up for fight

Boxer Floyd Mayweather continued to hype his upcoming  light-middleweight fight with mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor, saying he has some huge surprises in store for the Aug. 26 fight in Las Vegas.

>> Read more trending news

“Barack Obama may be there. Donald Trump may be there,” Mayweather told TMZ Sports. “I’m pretty sure it’s going to be a star-studded event.”

There is no word from Obama or his spokesman as to whether the former president will attend the fight at T-Mobile Arena. As for Trump, UFC president Dana White said the president “100 percent had interest” in the fight, but likely will not attend because he does not want to “ruin the event” with the security measures that would be necessary for Trump to visit.

Photos: Highlights from the 2017 MLB All-Star Game

The American League topped the National League 2-1 in the MLB All-Star Game on July 11, 2017.

200 items
Results 41 - 50 of 200 < previous next >