Now Playing
K95.5 Tulsa
Last Song Played
Tulsa's New Country Leader
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
K95.5 Tulsa
Last Song Played
Tulsa's New Country Leader

music

Categories within music

200 items
Results 41 - 50 of 200 < previous next >

Minnesota cemetery is newest live concert venue 

Talk about the grateful dead. There will be rock ’n’ roll music blaring at a Minnesota cemetery, and it’s a good bet the residents won’t be complaining about the noise.

>> Read more trending news

A new monthly series, Music in the Chapel, will debut at Minneapolis’ historic Lakewood Cemetery Memorial Chapel on April 8, the Star Tribune reported. 

Tickets will cost $10, and the first act booked is the all-women vocal group Anonymous Choir, which plays rock, soul and folk music.

“We simply think it’s a good way for people to come in and enjoy this beautiful setting,” Lakewood Cemetery president Rob Gjerde told the Star Tribune.

The cemetery was founded in 1871 and has an eclectic mix of famous people interred on its grounds, including former Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, basketball Hall of Famer George Mikan, Pillsbury founder Charles Pillsbury, former Minnesota Twins owner Carl Pohlad and Herbert Khaury -- who was known as 1960s falsetto singer Tiny Tim.

Future concerts scheduled include David Huckfelt on May 6 and Dusty Heart on June 10. The chapel, built in 1910, holds 160, the Star Tribune reported.

Concerts at a cemetery are not new, but it is the first time Lakewood is attempting a musical event. 

“Lakewood is reimagining the role of cemeteries in everyday life, and we think this is a great way of doing that,” Gjerde said. “The venue itself is a perfect fit for shows like this.”

The concerts will held on Sunday afternoons, and alcohol will not be permitted.

Anonymous Choir leader Nona Marie Invie has a personal stake in playing the debut concert, as her great-grandmother is buried at Lakewood, the Star Tribune reported.

“I enjoy performing in non-traditional spaces, and the I think the natural reverb of the chapel will make Anonymous Choir sound really beautiful,” Invie told the Star Tribune. “I don’t have any hesitation at all about performing in a cemetery setting, It will hopefully be a beautiful spring day with the sun shining, lessening the chance of a ghoul sighting for sure.”

Sunshine on a spring day beats a touch of gray, as most Deadheads would attest.

Elton John donates to Leon Russell Monument Fund

Rock ’n’ roll legend Elton John made a $5,000 donation through his charitable organization to the Leon Russell Monument Fund.

Organizers of the monument made the announcement on its website Friday.

John’s donation brought the fund within $3,600 of its $42,000 goal.

John and Leon Russell collaborated on a 2010 album, “The Union.”

Russell, an Oklahoma native, died in Nov. 13, 2016 at the age of 74.

Ex-Beatle Ringo Starr knighted by Prince William in Buckingham Palace ceremony

With a little help from a prince, Ringo Starr has a new title.

After this week’s knighthood ceremony at Buckingham Palace, he will now officially be known as Sir Richard Starkey, NBC News reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Ringo, who used his real name for the honor, was knighted by Prince William during the ceremony Tuesday.

This isn’t the first time he’s been given honors by a member of the Royal family. 

It’s been 53 years since the Beatles were all given the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire. They were given the MBE medals by Queen Elizabeth II in 1965, Ultimate Classic Rock reported.

The drummer said it was a bit different this time, missing the other three lads from Liverpool.

“I was a bit shaky today on my own,” Starr told the BBC.

He’s the second of the Beatles to be knighted, NBC News reported.

Sir Paul McCartney received his knighthood in 1997.

“I had dinner with him last week and we were both actually laughing about where we came from, and we’ve ended up in the palace and it’s now Sir Paul and Sir Richard,” Starr told NBC News.

>>Read: Ringo Starr, Barry Gibb to receive knighthood honor from Queen Elizabeth

Starr’s knighthood was announced late last year. Barry Gibb is also set to receive the honor.

Related video: 

Blue Ivy Carter, Tyler Perry get into $20K bidding war over painting at art auction

Blue Ivy Carter may only be 6 years old, but she's already an art connoisseur.

According to USA Today, the daughter of Beyoncé and Jay-Z got into a high-priced bidding war with media mogul Tyler Perry on Saturday at the Wearable Art Gala in Los Angeles. 

>> Read more trending news 

Blue Ivy reportedly bid $17,000 on a piece, described by E! as "an acrylic painting of a young Sidney Poitier," before Perry fired back with an $18,000 offer. Not one to be outdone, Blue Ivy bid $19,000 "as Jay-Z jokingly tried to take her arm down," according to USA Today. Perry ended up paying $20,000 for the painting.

>> Click here to watch

Beyoncé's mother, Tina Knowles, and her husband, Richard Lawson, organized the gala.

Read more here or here.

The Roots' SXSW show canceled after bomb threat; man arrested

Update, 2:14 a.m. CDT Sunday: Austin police have arrested a man in connection with a bomb threat that led to the cancellation of The Roots’ show Saturday at South by Southwest. 

The city of Austin tweeted the following statement early Sunday:

Trevor Weldon Ingram, 26, was arrested on charges of making a terroristic threat, a third-degree felony, the release said.

Police also tweeted Ingram’s booking photo:

ORIGINAL STORY: A South by Southwest performance by The Roots at Fair Market in Austin, Texas, was canceled Saturday night due to a “security concern,” event organizers said.

>> Visit Statesman.com for the latest on this developing story

A police spokesman said around 9:30 p.m. that more information would be released via Twitter, but nothing had been posted by 11:30 p.m. CDT.

However, the Austin Chronicle reported that it had two staffers at the event. One staffer heard event workers discussing the concern as a bomb threat, according to a report the weekly posted online, and "a second Chronicle staffer spoke with someone working at Fair Market tonight, who confirmed that Austin police were canvassing the property to determine whether there is any validity to the threat."

The cancellation of the show on the final night of the South By Southwest Festival comes at a time of heightened concern in the city following three deadly package bombs – two on Monday – that have exploded in East Austin this month, killing two people and seriously injuring a third.

>> Austin package explosions: 3 blasts appear connected, claim 2 lives, police say

Representatives for the event issued the following statement Saturday night after the cancellation

“Due to a security concern, we have made the difficult decision to cancel tonight’s Bud Light x The Roots SXSW Jam. After working proactively with SXSW, the Austin Police Department, and other authorities, Bud Light believes this is the best course of action to ensure the safety of our guests, staff, and artists, and appreciate your understanding. We are truly sorry to have to cancel the event, but we felt it was necessary to take all safety precautions.”

>> Austin package bombings: Friends remember victims Draylen Mason, Anthony House

In an Instagram post, Fair Market representatives said Anheuser-Busch made the call to cancel the event.

In a tweet that was later deleted Saturday night, frontman Questlove wrote, “Uh, welp can’t say much but for those in Austin waiting in line to see us tonight. Tonight’s show has been cancelled. They’ll make official announcement but I’d rather save y’all the trouble of waiting in line.”

>> On Austin360.com: Complete coverage of SXSW

In response to fans who were upset after waiting in line for hours, Questlove also tweeted:

Blake Shelton, Gwen Stefani shop in Greensboro before concert

Country singer Blake Shelton and his girlfriend, singer Gwen Stefani, were in North Carolina wrangling for bargains Saturday, WFMY reported.

>> Read more trending news

The couple stopped at a Wrangler Pop-Up Shop in Greensboro. Shelton was set to play a concert Saturday night at the Greensboro Coliseum.

Wrangler documented the visit on its Twitter account, tweeting that “Sherpa suits you, Gwen.”

Jason Aldean's wife, Brittany, blasts 'parent shamers' after taking vacation without baby

Jason Aldean’s wife, Brittany, has had enough of keyboard critics.

While on an adults-only vacation with friends Dee Jay Silver and his wife, Jenna Perdue, some social media users slammed the Aldeans for leaving behind their 3-month-old baby boy, Memphis.

>> Read more trending news 

Brittany Aldean put her foot down in an Instagram post last week.

Sharing a photo of herself with her husband, she wrote: “Much needed vacay. Just a word of wisdom for all the parent shamers ... vacations are ok for new parents to take. Sometimes after being pregnant for almost a year, cooped up in a house for weeks at a time, you need a little sunshine and adult time. IT IS NOT OK to leave your ignorant comments. If you don’t agree with something, PLEASE ... do me a favor and unfollow me. You will NOT be missed. And for all the sweet, positive, happy people ... we love you and thank you!!"

>> See the post here

Read more here.

– The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.

Nun involved in Katy Perry lawsuit collapses, dies in court

One of the nuns in a legal dispute with singer Katy Perry has died.

According to KTTV, Sister Catherine Rose Holzman collapsed and died during a court hearing Friday. She was 89.

>> Read more trending news 

Holzman was a member of the Sisters of the Most Holy and Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary, who sold their convent in the Los Feliz area of Los Angeles to restaurateur Dana Hollister for $15.5 million in 2015, NPR reported. The Archdiocese of Los Angeles "argued the nuns did not have the right to sell the property ... and it instead approved a sale to Perry" for $14.5 million, NPR reported. A judge ruled in favor of the archdiocese and Perry in 2016.

Before she died, Holzman and Sister Rita Callanan spoke out about the sale Friday in an interview with KTTV

"Katy Perry, please stop," Holzman said, according to KTTV. "It's not doing anyone any good except hurting a lot of people."

Read more here or here.

Memphis rapper, 7, knocks 'em dead at the Apollo

Meet Otis Morris Jr. This 7-year-old rapper from Memphis skyrocketed to stardom earlier this year after he appeared on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show.”

>> Read more trending news

Thursday he starred in the hit Fox show “Showtime at the Apollo.”

Otis, who goes by the stage name Yung Hunnid, said, “That was a huge opportunity to be with Steve Harvey. I wasn't nervous, but I was freaking out, flipping out, freaking and flipping out.”

Yung Hunnid started rapping at the age of 2.

Now, this Memphis lyrical prodigy is setting his sights high, even though he's still in elementary school.

Yung Hunnid said, “God’s plan … God’s plan … I hold back, sometimes I won't, yeah.”

Otis said working with DeGeneres was cool, but working with Harvey was on another level of greatness.

He said that while he performed he thought, “I’m going to have a good performance, because I want everybody to clap.”

While Otis just started his career, he said one day after he conquers the rap world, a different career choice might be in the cards.

“I'll probably be a doctor when I’m big, but now while I’m small I’m going to be a superstar,” Otis said.

200 items
Results 41 - 50 of 200 < previous next >