Now Playing
K95.5 Tulsa
Last Song Played
Tulsa's New Country Leader

football

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >

Report: Steelers listening to trade offers for Le'Veon Bell

The Pittsburgh Steelers are reportedly listening to trade offers for Le'Veon Bell, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. 

>> Read more trending news 

The news was made public Sunday morning, just hours after Bell sent out a questionable tweet saying that he just wants to be appreciated.

The running back, who hasn't been with the team at all this season, posted: "sometimes a simple ‘thank you’ can go a long way … I feel like too many ppl take me for granted.”

Bell has forfeited $853,000 each week he hasn't reported to the Steelers. If he reports next week and signs his franchise tender, he will be owed $11.9 million.

This news of the Steelers listening to trade offers is just the latest in the controversy surrounding the team.

James Conner has started at running back over the first two weeks.

The Steelers play the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Monday night. 

California barber criticized for hanging doll of Colin Kaepernick from noose in shop

A Northern California barbershop owner apologized Friday and said he has received death threats after a photograph of a hanging doll in his shop portraying former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick was posted on social media, the Sacramento Bee reported Friday.

>> Read more trending news 

The photograph was taken inside the Bowtie Barbershop in downtown Placerville and depicts a Kaepernick doll hanging from the ceiling by a noose, KTXL reported.

The photograph was taken and shared by a man who wanted only to be known by his first name, Joseph.

"They got Colin Kaepernick hanging from a noose," he wrote on social media.

Kaepernick sparked controversy in 2016 when he began kneeling during the national anthem before NFL games to protest racial inequality and racial injustice.

>> Colin Kaepernick face of Nike’s 30th anniversary ‘Just Do It’ ad campaign

The barbershop owner, known as “Bowtie Barber,” said Kaepernick had been hanging in effigy in his shop since 2016, the Bee reported.

“I want to speak out and publicly make an apology” the barber told the newspaper. He said he had taken the doll down.

"I literally had no idea that I was offending people," Barber told KTXL. "We have a hangman out here called George and so, you know, with the theme of hangtown I hung him. And it was wrong, it was absolutely wrong.”

>> Colin Kaepernick’s ‘I’m With Kap’ sells out in hours

The business’s Yelp page was flooded with one-star reviews Friday.

“Hogwash Racist Buffoon Bowtie Barbershop,” one comment said.

“For some reason the owner of this establishment thinks it’s amusing to hang a Colin Kaepernick doll by a noose. Offensive, racists, and just plain stupid,” according to another poster. “Boycott this business.”

>> Critics suggest Pat Tillman was better choice for Nike campaign

The barber said he hung the doll as a reaction to Kaepernick’s pregame protest.

"I am a die-hard 49ers fan and when that action happened there was a lot portrayed on the 49ers and I took it personally," he told KTXL. "I’m publicly announcing that I apologize. It was the wrong thing for me to do. Absolutely will never happen again. I absolutely see the other side of it. I'm sorry.”

Man who killed Colts linebacker, Uber driver in crash gets 16 years in prison

The man accused of killing Indianapolis Colts linebacker Edwin Jackson and an Uber driver during a crash in February was sentenced to 16 years in prison, WXIN reported. 

>> Read more trending news 

Manuel Orrego-Savala -- a 37-year-old Guatemalan man who was living illegally in Indiana, according to police -- was charged with four felony counts in connection with the crash that killed Edwin Jackson, 26, and Jeffrey Monroe, 54, the Indianapolis Star reported.

Police said Orrego-Savala crashed his F-150 into a car parked on the shoulder of I-70, WXIN reported. He was driving with a blood alcohol content three times the legal limit.

>> Colts linebacker Edwin Jackson killed by drunk driver

In July, Orrego-Savala pleaded guilty to two counts of causing death while operating a motor vehicle with an alcohol concentration of .15 or higher. 

On Friday, Monroe’s widow lashed out at Orrego-Savala during his sentencing, saying justice had not been served, the Star reported.

"You're a drunk, a liar, a murderer and a coward," Deborah Monroe said. "You didn't even have the decency to pull his dead body from the road before you ran."

Mary Ellen Jackson, the mother of Edwin Jackson, spoke while family members sat nearby, the Star reported.

>> Suspect charged in crash that killed Edwin Jackson

"Edwin was a lighthouse," she said. "His character was unwavering." 

Police said Orrego-Savala, who also goes by the name Alex Cabrera Gonsales, was in the United States illegally, despite being deported in 2007 and again in 2009. 

Drought over: Browns win first game since December 2016

Here are two words that haven’t been back to back in the same sentence since Dec. 24, 2016: Browns win.

>> Read more trending news 

Rookie quarterback Baker Mayfield rallied Cleveland from a two-touchdown deficit in his NFL debut Thursday night to lead the Browns to a 21-17 victory against the New York Jets, ESPN reported.

The victory snapped a 19-game winless streak and ended a 635-day victory drought.

Joe Schobert’s interception of Jets rookie quarterback Sam Darnold with 1:21 to play and a Terrance Mitchell pick with 11 seconds left sealed the victory, sending Browns fans into a frenzy, ESPN reported.

"We finally put the pieces together a little bit," Mayfield said. "This crowd deserved to see that first win here at home."

Only 10 players on Cleveland’s roster were with the team the last time the Browns (1-1-1) won a game, ESPN reported. The Jets fell to 1-2.

Mayfield led the Browns on their winning rally by completing six of eight passes in a 15-play, 75-yard drive that ended with Carlos Hyde’s second touchdown with 2:04 to play.

Cleveland’s 19-game winless streak was the NFL’s second-longest since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger. The 1976-1977 Tampa Bay Buccaneers lost their first 26 games.

Houston Texans players rip superintendent for ‘you can’t count on a black quarterback’ post 

UPDATE: Lynn Redden, the Texas school superintendent under fire after making racist comments on social media, has resigned, KTRK reported Saturday.

Read the original report below.

Houston Texans football coach Bill O’Brien and several players criticized a Facebook post made by a Texas school superintendent after the team’s 27-20 loss to the Tennessee Titans on Sunday, that read in part, “you can’t count on a black quarterback,” the Houston Chronicle reported Wednesday.

>> Read more trending news 

Redden, the superintendent of the Onalaska Independent School District, apparently was reacting to the final play of Sunday’s game, when Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson held on to the football as time ran out.

The incident occurred Monday, when the Chronicle posted a meme about the play.

Matt Erickson, of Houston, commented that he never watches the "perpetual dumpster fire that is the Houston Texans," KTRK reported.

Redden, who is white, then replied in a public post, “That may have been the most inept quarterback decision I've seen in the NFL. When you need precision decision making you can't count on a black quarterback."

The Chronicle obtained a screenshot of the comment, the newspaper reported.

At his Wednesday news conference, O’Brien criticized the comments.

"I don't want to waste any time responding to ignorant, idiotic statements," O’Brien said. "Deshaun represents everything that's right about football and life. It's amazing that BS exists, but it does."

At the same news conference, Watson said he had experienced racism before but did not comment about the superintendent’s post.

"That's on him – let peace be with him," Watson said. "I'm all about love."

Texans defensive star J.J. Watt said the post “does not deserve any attention from any of us.”

“It's a very ignorant comment that doesn't deserve any more play,” Watt said. “It's very unfortunate. I trust (Watson). We all trust him."

Redden told the Chronicle in a telephone interview that he regretted making the post, which has been deleted, and thought he was responding to a private message. He told the newspaper he deleted the comment as soon as he realized it was public. He said that he was referring to the statistical success of black NFL quarterbacks, adding that they "have had limited success" throughout the league's history, the Chronicle reported.

The Onalaska ISD school board will discuss Redden's contract during a closed meeting Saturday, the Chronicle reported. In a statement to KPRC, the school board said that it “does not condone negative comments or actions against any race.”

"The district values every individual and therefore the district will take the appropriate measures to address the situation expeditiously and completely," the statement read.

Colin Kaepernick's 'I'm With Kap' jersey sells out in hours

New jerseys supporting Colin Kaepernick are sold out hours after being announced for presale, and he’s still a free agent in the NFL.

USA Today reported that Kaepernick announced that jerseys with “#IMWITHKAP” across the front were up for presale Monday. They have the athlete and activist’s number, 7, on the back, as well as his last name.

>> Read more trending news 

Kaepernick posted on Twitter that a portion of proceeds for the limited edition jerseys, which sold for $99.99 in youth sizes and $174.99 in adult unisex sizes, will benefit the Know Your Rights Camp. The campaign, founded by Kaepernick, raises awareness on self improvement and education and provides instructions on how to properly interact with law enforcement in varying situations.

Hours after the announcement was made, Kaepernick said in a follow-up tweet that the jerseys were instantly all out of stock, adding that all profits would now go to Know Your Rights Camp.

This is the latest in activism and awareness work for Kaepernick. He is the face of Nike’s 30th anniversary of the brand’s “Just Do It” campaign, and appeared in a commercial for the brand that aired during the NFL season opener game Thursday. Since the campaign was announced, online Nike sales are up 31 percent, despite a number of boycotts across the country.

Nike online sales rise by 31 percent

Despite some early backlash and a slight dip in sales, Nike’s online sales increased by 31 percent from Sunday through Tuesday of this week, the San Jose Mercury News reported.

>> Read more trending news 

The company introduced controversial quarterback Colin Kaepernick as the face of its 30th anniversary “Just Do It” advertising campaign. President Donald Trump, police officers and many football fans objected to the choice, arguing that Kaepernick taking a knee to protest police brutality and racial injustice was out of line. 

>> Colin Kaepernick face of Nike’s new ‘Just Do It’ ad campaign

The ad, released Monday and featured on television for the first time during Thursday’s NFL opener between the Philadelphia Eagles and Atlanta Falcons, featured a close-up, black-and-white image of Kaepernick with the words, “Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything.” 

On Friday, San Francisco-based Edison Trends revealed that after an initial drop in sales, Nike recovered strongly. Its 31 percent rise is nearly double its 17 percent gain over the same time period in 2017.

“There was speculation that the Nike/Kaepernick campaign would lead to a drop in sales,” Edison Trends co-founder Hetal Pandya said in a statement. “The data does not support that theory.”

>> Nike campaign featuring Colin Kaepernick sparks boycott

But after Nike’s stock fell 3.9 percent to touch a low of $79 per share on Tuesday, it rebounded to end the week at $80.30 per share, The New York Post reported.

WATCH: Colin Kaepernick stars in Nike's 'Just Do It' 30th anniversary commercial

Colin Kaepernick’s campaign with Nike is just beginning.

Days after a print ad was revealed and it was announced that the free agent would be the face of the brand’s 30th anniversary of its “Just Do It” ad campaign, fans and observers can see the first commercial. Kaepernick tweeted the video Wednesday.

>> Read more trending news 

ESPN reported that the two-minute ad is narrated by Kaepernick. In addition to the activist, NBA player LeBron James, tennis icon Serena Williams, New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr., marathoner Eliud Kipchoge, skateboarder Lacey Baker, NFL linebacker Shaquem Griffin, wheelchair basketball player Megan Blunk, boxer Zeina Nassar and wrestler Isaiah Bird, who was born without legs, are featured in the commercial.

Kaepernick has remained a free agent since he opted out of his contract with the San Francisco 49ers in 2017. He first started sitting during the national anthem at NFL preseason games in 2016 to draw attention to police brutality and racial inequality in America. He later began kneeling during the anthem after U.S. Army veteran Nate Boyer convinced him to do so the next month. 

Related: Colin Kaepernick face of Nike’s 30th anniversary ‘Just Do It’ ad campaign

Although Kaepernick was initially alone in his demonstration, athletes across different teams and sports ultimately joined him. The demonstration has inaccurately been interpreted as protesting the anthem, the U.S. military and the country by some critics.

Related: Nike ad campaign featuring Colin Kaepernick sparks boycott

Nike will run the ad during Thursday’s NFL regular-season opener between the Atlanta Falcons and Philadelphia Eagles.

Nike ad campaign featuring Colin Kaepernick sparks boycott

Some people are boycotting Nike after the company partnered with Colin Kaepernick to make the former NFL quarterback the face of its latest "Just Do It" campaign.

>> Watch the news report here

The campaign, in honor of the 30th anniversary of the company's iconic phrase, features Kaepernick's face with the words, "Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything."

The ad caught attention on both ends of the spectrum, with some praising the move and others criticizing the decision due to Kaepernick's involvement in the movement for players to kneel during the national anthem before NFL games.

>> Colin Kaepernick face of Nike’s 30th anniversary ‘Just Do It’ ad campaign

Kaepernick hasn't played in the NFL since the 2016 season, the year he began kneeling during the national anthem to raise awareness about police brutality against African-Americans and other racial injustices.

Now, the company finds itself in the midst of a controversy.

"They always want to be on the leading edge of things and create some type of discussion, so I'm not surprised that Nike would be the one to do it," Nike shopper Steve Warhover said.

Yvette Bugingo also shops at Nike and said she wasn't worried about the move.

>> Critics suggest Pat Tillman was better choice for Nike campaign

"The shoes, they don't change. The colors they give you don't change. The prices don't change," Bugingo said. "So I don't see the big deal."

Boston University advertising professor Chris Cakebread said Nike has, until now, been a traditional brand, which makes the move a bold one.

"They wanted to take a bit of a risk and really kind of raise their awareness out there and say, 'We aren't conservative; we really are part of the notion of what's going on in the marketplace,'" Cakebread said.

The move caught swift pushback on social media, with some claiming to burn their Nike gear in protest.

However, at the St. Francis House, the largest homeless day shelter in Massachusetts, they're hoping those thinking about torching their sneakers will think again.

"I would ask people to please consider donating the shoes, rather than burning them," said Maggie Burns from the St. Francis House. "They will go to great use. Our guests are always in need of new or gently used sneakers."

>> Read more trending news 

Employees at the Nike location on Boston's Newbury Street said they haven't had anyone return any sneakers or clothing in response to the ad, but they have received calls from upset customers about the topic.

Jacksonville shooting: What we know about the victims

Two people were killed and 10 others were wounded by gunshots when Baltimore resident David Katz opened fire Sunday during a video game competition in Jacksonville, Florida, officials said. One other person sustained injuries that were not gunshot wounds, according to authorities.

Katz, 24, killed himself in the melee, police said.

>> On ActionNewsJax.com: Jacksonville Landing mass shooting updates

Although investigators have not released or confirmed the victims' identities, the victims' families told ActionNewsJax that competitors Eli Clayton and Taylor Robertson were fatally shot during the "Madden 19" tournament.

Here's what we know so far:

>> On ActionNewsJax.com: PHOTOS: Victims of Jacksonville Landing shooting

Eli Clayton, 22

Eli Clayton, 22, of Woodland Hills, California, was a talented "Madden 19" player who enjoyed success using the Jacksonville Jaguars in tournaments, according to ActionNewsJax. He was recognized by the team in 2017 for taking its digital likeness to the national finals that year, the news station reported.

A haunting video from Sunday's tournament in Jacksonville showed what appeared to be a gun's laser point on his chest before he was shot and killed, the Miami Herald reported.

Known in gaming circles as "True" and "Trueboy," Clayton was "consistently one of the best in competitive 'Madden,'" his EA Sports profile says. He reportedly took home $51,000 in prizes in head-to-head live events, winning 40 percent of his 20 games.

>> On ActionNewsJax.com: PHOTOS: Jacksonville Landing mass shooting

"Despite a rough season, True remains one of the best around and can potentially win it all when it's done," the EA Sports website says.

In an April article by EA Sports, Clayton described himself as "really easy to get along with."

"I'm not a troublemaker," he said. "I'm always laughing and joking around. I'm just me, a cool dude. There's really nowhere to go but up, honestly."

Competitive gamer Shay "Young Kiv" Kivlen of Seattle called Clayton "one of my best friends in life" in a Twitter tribute Sunday.

"I talked to u almost everyday for the last 5 years," he wrote. "U were one of the most kind and genuine people I've ever met. I love u like a brother. I'm gonna miss hearing you laugh everyday and seeing your genuine smile."

>> See the tweet here

Taylor Robertson, 27

Taylor Robertson, a 27-year-old father from Ballard, West Virginia, also was killed in Sunday's mass shooting, ActionNewsJax reports. He is survived by his wife and young son, according to the Metro News.

Robertson, known in the gaming world as "SpotMePlzzz," had "the skill to completely take over any 'Madden' tournament," his EA Sports profile says. He reportedly took home $80,500 in prizes in head-to-head live events, winning 72 percent of his 18 games.

>> Read more trending news 

"His potent offensive talent paired with his skill on defense makes him one of the toughest opponents in competitive 'Madden,'" the profile says.

Members of the "Madden" community said Robertson competed to help support his family.

"Always spoke about his wife & newborn and how he wanted the money to better their lives," @EricRayweather tweeted

>> See the tweet here

– ActionNewsJax contributed to this report.

[Summary]

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >
 

Amazon Alexa

Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!